Friday, October 20, 2006

Bengals / Panthers Preview


The tables have finally turned, and I think that's a good thing.

While the Bengals are still a three point favorite in Vegas, nearly every sports website I could find picked the Panthers to win this one, and I couldn't be happier. We are the underdog once again.

I suppose the question as to why the Bengals play better when people have counted them out is a good one, but one I don't have the answer to. But it seems that way, doesn't it?

Ok, enough with the broad generalizations. Let's get down to brass tacks:

WHAT WE NEED TO DO:
  • Work on the short passing routes. As much as I like Chad Johnson, I gotta disagree with him. All week long he's been complaining that the long balls haven't been coming, and that's why we've lost two in a row. While he has an interesting point, I'd counter that with all the pressure Palmer's had to endure, we really need to work on our short routes. With Julius Peppers in town and a rookie starting at LT, #9 is gonna need to get rid of that ball in a hurry. Chris Perry should help this game plan as long as he can show some of the flashes of brilliance that made him so fun to watch last year.

  • For the love of god, contain the running game. It's not remotely fun to bring this up every week, but if we don't learn to contain the goddamn run, we are not gonna win a lot of football games. Nuff said.

  • Rudi on the counter. This used to be our go-to running play, but I haven't seen it that much this year. Rudi is a great power back, but running him straight up the gut every time didn't seem to do the trick last week against Tampa Bay. I know he's not the speediest guy on the field, but he does have some moves. I'd like to see Bratkowski call some more interesting plays this week, especially when it comes to #32.

  • Double team Steve Smith for the entire game. Count me amongst the few that weren't that disappointed by Tory James' injury last week. I like the guy, I like his interceptions, but homeboy cannot cover a WR to save his life. This means that our two starting CB will be Deltha O'Neal and Jonathan "My Main Man" Joseph. Color me excited.

  • Brat needs to step it up. Better playcalling. More diversions. More play action passes. More TRICKERY, damn it. Our offense has become very predictable, to the point where I can call, with about 80% accuracy, whether our next play will be a run or a pass (and even long or short pass). And I'm a complete idiot. Remember last week when it was 3rd and about 7, and Palmer snapped the ball and threw a quick screen pass to #85, who immediately juked his CB and ran for a first down? That was awesome, Brat! More like that, bro!

  • More than anything, the Bengals need to listen to the sportswriters of this country, who have basically given up on them. Listen to them say you're overrated. Listen to them talk about how lousy our defense is. Listen to all this foo foo nonsense and channel it into a laser beam. Then use that laser beam to burn holes in Carolina . . . um . . . and blast them with your phasers . . . Goddamnit. I did it again.

WHO DEY?

1 comment:

Clint said...

With the injuries the Bengals have right now I am not very confident about this game. I will still pick the Bengals to win since I am a homer but I worry that even if the play calling is better Carson isn't going to have a lot of time in the pocket without Levi and Richie.