Monday, September 11, 2006

Good Guys Win 23-10

Great opening game for the Bengals.

My roommate and his girlfriend, who is from Kansas City, came over to watch the game. It's been a while since I was able to watch a Bengals game with a person from the opposing city. The poor girl probably didn't know what I had in store for her in the trash talk department, but I think my harsh words may have helped her grow as a person. That's the rationalization I'm using for making her cry. Whatever.

Anyways, my game thoughts:

1) Defense is looking TIGHT. Yes, we were playing against a diminished Kansas City O-line, but the Bengals front four are looking pretty darn good right now. Domata Peko, in limited playing time, looks like our answer to Polamalu. Ok, maybe that's just the hair, but Peko seemed, not unlike Polamalu, to be several places at once, and made some key tackles, including a sack. Kudos also go to Justin Smith, who's finally (in a contract year) playing like the guy we thought we drafted back in 2001. The secondary also had a good showing, Madieu in particular.

I was clowned in my fantasy league for taking the Bengals D (even in the 13th round), but I had a hunch about these guys. Those who point out our defensive shortcomings last year often fail to also point out that we were playing with CFL-caliber safeties for most of the season. I expect even bigger things out of this defense this year.

2) Rudi, as we've come to expect, was a rock. 96 Yards and a TD. SOP for Rudi.

3) Carson and Chad were definitely a little out of sync. That's surprising to me, only because in the final pre-season game, they seemed to be on the same page. I expect them to be back at their usual ridiculously awesome level of play in the next couple of weeks.

4) That really, really, really, really sucks about Trent Green. All Bengals fans know what it's like to see your QB immobile on the ground, and the dread that accompanies the little golf cart onto the field. I have to give Geathers the benefit of the doubt on this one, and watching the replay a couple dozen times shows that he was already off his feet as Trent started his slide. A very unfortunate event for Chiefs fans, and we all wish Trent the best of luck.

5) It's good to see the Bengals playing smash mouth football this early in the season. We know Carson and co. can be a finesse team when needed, but in order to beat the Steelers this year, we're gonna have to beat them at their own game.

6) I'm a bit nervous about our current WR situation, as this was supposed to be a position we had depth at this year. With Housh out this game and maybe next, Chatman out, and Chris Henry facing THREE upcoming court dates, we defintely could use a solid, possession receiver to play opposite Chad. Kelley Washington is swell and all, but he's definitely our fourth most talented receiver.

7) Wow, David Huard, huh? Yikes. What a perfect example of the need to have a decent backup QB. Anthony Wright is no Johnny Unitas, but he's also no David Huard. The guy had one decent drive, then proceeded to shit the bed so much they ran out of fresh sheets. Again, gotta feel for the Chiefs fans out there.

Congrats to Marvin and the gang for getting that all-important opening win. Next week we face the Browns, and with Charlie Frye heading up the Dawgs, I feel like we have a good chance of going 2-0.

WHO DEY?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you didn't make me cry. Geathers made me cry when he murdered my QB. I'd say your T.T., that's trash talk, was lacking and so was the top to your chili burger. There wasn't one and I think that was intentional. The genius masterminds at the Coffee Table must have known they were making a chili burger for a fag and decided to half you on the buns. Poor you.....fag. And in closing my Chiefy's will reign supreme once Sunday comes and my boys in red get big and HUARD! -HEIDI

elizabeth said...

Tragic QB injuries aside (rest up and regain more than just that tingling sensation in your extremities, Trent), I would, in fact, like to keep up with the Chiefs this season a little bit. I just want to find out if Croyle has as much to offer as Huard in the way of Tivo-replay comedy.