Thursday, September 28, 2006

Thursday Musings

Sorry for the lack of posts this week (to both of you who actually read this blog). I have no excuse, save that I am an incredibly flakey individual, prone to completely spacing out for weeks on end.

But you probably already knew that.

Regardless, it's been a pretty adventure-filled week.
To Wit:
Odell is Done
Can't say I'm very surprised by this development, but that doesn't take the sting out of it. I was really looking forward to getting Odell back in uniform. With the injuries we've had on defense, we desperately needed a young, healthy body to step up after game four, but now we got jack shit.

I'm really hoping Dexter Jackson comes back soon. Brian Simmons has done a great job filling in at ILB, but I can only imagine how much better our D would have been if we had him and Odell at linebacker. Alas, it was not to be.

Now I've read probably as many posts / blogs / articles as you have about how the Bengals' off-the-field antics are troublesome, and I agree with a lot of what has been said. People often make comparisons to the late 90s / early 00s (pronounced "aughts," you philistine) Portland Trailblazers team, featuring such personality All-Stars as JR Rider, Zach Randolph, and Bonzi Wells.

However, I think our team differs from the Portland "Aptly Named" Blazers team in one key area: The Bengals win games. The Blazers, with a few exceptions, did not do so (or at least not consistently). So the argument these same writers keep putting forth is that all of these "personality issues" will eventually catch up to the Bengals. And the scary thing is that they might have a point.

To add to the Odell problem, LB Rashad Jeanty has now been downgraded to doubtful for Sunday's game. Who will take his slot? Why, none other than the player considered by most football analysts as the most troublesome player in last year's draft, Mr. Ahmad Brooks. If Ahmad can just not stab anyone or show off his gat to underage girls between now and Sunday, we'll be good to go. Cross those fingers, gang.

The Pats and the Bengals Need to Stop Making Out in Front of the Media
Seriously? This is getting tiresome. All I've heard all week is how much Belichick likes Chad Johnson, how much Carson Palmer admires the Patriots, how much Marvin admires Tom Brady, blah blah blah.

I've been out of it a bit lately, but when did Cotex decide to sponsor this game?

These guys are the ENEMY. They are potentially the team that is standing between us and the Super Bowl, and we spend all week talking them up like we're trying to set them up on a blind date? Completely lame. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think a healthy mutual respect is a good mindset to have enterting a big football game.

Shaun Alexander is Done
Bummer, but also a good time to point out that Ladanian Tomlinson is, without a doubt, the most dependable RB in the league, and has been for the past 3 years, but still no one takes him with the first pick in a fantasy draft. Weird.

Michael Lewis is, at the Very Least, a Demi-God
For those who don't know his work, Mr. Lewis is the man who penned the sensational baseball book Moneyball, as well as a few other non-fiction books. His latest, entitled The Blind Side, is all about football, and more specifically, how the position of Left Tackle has evolved into one of the most important positions on the field, as well as the most lucrative.

Because I'm more plugged in than Granny's oxygen supply, I got a copy of the book early (it comes out October 3rd), and I'm completely wrapped up in it. Just a fantastic look at football from multiple perspectives. If you enjoyed Moneyball or Friday Night Lights, you will love this book.

Cincy Jungle is Fantastic
I can't imagine that anyone reading my shitty blog hasn't already stumbled upon Cincy Jungle, but if you haven't, go on over and tell them Who Dave sent you. Josh runs a ridiculously awesome site, and has tons of great analysis of all things Bengals. Since I'm too stupid to figure out how to post a link inside the text, just go ahead and click the link to the right.

More to Come
I'll be back tomorrow for a rundown of the Bengals / Pats testosterone-free contest on Sunday, as well as a look around the league for what we can expect on Sunday.

Until then, as always, WHO DEY?!

1 comment:

Clint said...

I know how you feel, there was a time in late August where I only had about 3 posts in two weeks due to lack of motivation. But as one of two readers I say keep up the good work!

I do agree about Cincy Jungle, Kirkendall does a fantastic job. Another Bengal blog I recommend is Eye of the Tiger (bengals.mostvaluablenetwork.com).

Now as far as the Bengals are concerned, I too want to see Dexter come back healthy ASAP. Kaesviharn isn't terrible, but he certainly is no Dexter Jackson.